Who sponsors SMC?
Sponsors in science, business, the media and society support SMC with donations and grants as well as Friends and Sponsors’ membership fees.
As many sponsors as possible who give as much as possible: This is how we want to guarantee that SMC has enough resources to establish itself, extend its portfolio of topics and secure its long-term future.
As many areas as possible in which our sponsors are to be found: This is how we want to guarantee that SMC can act independently and reflect the diversity of actors who constitute successful science journalism.
This is why we pursue a multi-funder policy.
We actively seek sponsors in the following areas:
- specialist societies
- research institutes
- media enterprises
- public bodies and ministries
- private individuals
- science organisations
As a rule, the amount any one sponsor can donate is capped at 50,000 euros or five per cent of SMC’s annual budget.
Exceptions include the Klaus Tschira Foundation which facilitated the creation of SMC as a non-profit organisation in June 2015 with seed funding of 1.5 million euros. In autumn 2016, the Klaus Tschira Foundation extended its financial commitment until mid-2019 to secure SMC’s basic financing. Further exceptions include publicly-funded grants such as project-related third-party funding from the Federal Ministry of Research, which allow us to create positions for research associates.
Editorial independence is also secured in SMC’s articles of association which state that the work of SMC’s editors will be conducted without outside interference from financial supporters, members or other third parties.
Sponsorship can be granted in the form of donation to SMC directly or membership of the "Association of Friends and Sponsors of the Science Media Center Germany gGmbH". Sponsors will be sent a charitable donation receipt for tax purposes.
Sponsors in 2017
up to 2,000 Euro
- Alexander von Humboldt-Stiftung
- Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen
- Gesellschaft Deutscher Chemiker (GDCh)
- Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn
- Stiftung Wissen der Sparkasse KölnBonn
- Technische Universität Braunschweig
2,001 Euro - 5,000 Euro
- acatech – Deutsche Akademie der Technikwissenschaften
- Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg
- C.H.Beck Stiftung
- Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum (DKFZ)
- dpa Deutsche PresseAgentur
- DuMont Mediengruppe
- Forschungszentrum Jülich
- KWS SAAT SE
- Max-Delbrück-Centrum für Molekulare Medizin (MDC)
- Polit-X HAUPTSTÄDTISCHE Verlags-GmbH
- Springer Nature
- Technische Universität München (TUM)
- Uniklinik Köln
- Universität zu Köln
- Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster
5,001 Euro - 10,000 Euro
- Covestro Germany
- Deutsche Akademie der Naturforscher Leopoldina
- Industrieverband Körperpflege- und Waschmittel
- Karlsruher Institut für Technologie
- Süddeutsche Zeitung
- Universität Heidelberg
10,001 Euro - 20,000 Euro
- Bayer Science & Education Foundation
- Boehringer Ingelheim
20,001 Euro - 50,000 Euro
- Bertelsmann Stiftung (projectsponsor)
- Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung (projectsponsor)
- Stadt Köln (projectsponsor)
more than 50,000 Euro
- Klaus Tschira Stiftung
The Science Media Center Germany would like to thank all its sponsors.
(as of October 2017)
Our sponsors in 2016 are shown here.