Sponsors in science, business, the media and society support SMC with donations and grants as well as Friends and Sponsors’ membership fees.
As many sponsors as possible who give as much as possible: This is how we want to guarantee that SMC has enough resources to establish itself, extend its portfolio of topics and secure its long-term future.
As many areas as possible in which our sponsors are to be found: This is how we want to guarantee that SMC can act independently and reflect the diversity of actors who constitute successful science journalism.
This is why we pursue a multi-funder policy.
We actively seek sponsors in the following areas:
- specialist societies
- research institutes
- media enterprises
- public bodies and ministries
- private individuals
- science organisations
As a rule, the amount any one sponsor can donate is capped at 50,000 euros or five per cent of SMC’s annual budget.
Exceptions include the Klaus Tschira Foundation which facilitated the creation of SMC as a non-profit organisation in June 2015 with seed funding of 1.5 million euros. In autumn 2016, the Klaus Tschira Foundation extended its financial commitment until mid-2019 to secure SMC’s basic financing. Further exceptions include publicly-funded grants such as project-related third-party funding from the Federal Ministry of Research, which allow us to create positions for research associates.
Editorial independence is also secured in SMC’s articles of association which state that the work of SMC’s editors will be conducted without outside interference from financial supporters, members or other third parties.
Sponsorship can be granted in the form of donation to SMC directly or membership of the "Association of Friends and Sponsors of the Science Media Center Germany gGmbH". Sponsors will be sent a charitable donation receipt for tax purposes.
more than 50,000 Euro
- Klaus Tschira Stiftung
20,001 Euro - 50,000 Euro
- Bertelsmann Stiftung (SMC lab projectsponsor)
- Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung (SMC lab projectsponsor)
- Google DNI (SMC lab projectsponsor)
10,001 Euro - 20,000 Euro
- Bayer Science & Education Foundation
5,001 Euro - 10,000 Euro
- Covestro Germany
- Deutsche Akademie der Naturforscher Leopoldina
- Deutsches Lackinstitut
- Industrieverband Körperpflege- und Waschmittel
- Karlsruher Institut für Technologie
- RWTH Aachen
- Süddeutsche Zeitung
- Universität Heidelberg
2,001 Euro - 5,000 Euro
- AbbVie Deutschland
- acatech – Deutsche Akademie der Technikwissenschaften
- Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg
- Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum (DKFZ)
- dpa Deutsche PresseAgentur
- Forschungszentrum Jülich
- Helmholtz-Zentrum Potsdam, GeoForschungsZentrum (GFZ)
- HIT Umwelt- und Naturschutz Stiftung-GmbH
- KWS SAAT
- Max-Delbrück-Centrum für Molekulare Medizin (MDC)
- Polit-X Hauptstädtische Verlags-GmbH
- Springer Nature
- Technische Universität München (TUM)
- Uniklinik Köln
- Universität zu Köln
- Verband der chemischen Industrie e.V (VCI)
- Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster
up to 2,000 Euro
- Alexander von Humboldt-Stiftung
- C.H.Beck Stiftung
- DECHEMA Gesellschaft für Chemische Technik und Biotechnologie
- Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen
- Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena
- Gesellschaft Deutscher Chemiker (GDCh)
- Mirko Meurer, Köln
- Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn
- Technische Universität Braunschweig
(as of January 2020)
The Science Media Center Germany would like to thank all its sponsors.